Here at Arcadia Knives hand crafted knives have a soul. They are created with care, sweat and fire. If you are looking for a knife that you can pass down to your children then look no further.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Xmas Show Knife


At the Pickwick show in December I sold one of my knives to a kind fellow that is into fur trade era re-enactment. The knife he picked was initially designed as an ergonomic paring knife. It sported a wharncliff blade that was shaving sharp and a handle that rested in the hand real nice. Nick picked it up and decided it was going to be his new patch knife and I was obliged to sell it to him. He wanted a sheath, and as a paring knife it was naked- no sheath.

Well I told him I could make one but couldn't get it done till after all the holidays were over. Nick was in no hurry. I pondered many sheath designs for this knife because it was essentially a backwards blade design. Along with his knife sheath I had two sheaths I wanted to make for myself. This would allow me to work on multiples instead of just one.

What I came up with for him was a pouch sheath that could be used different ways as I wasn't sure how he wanted to carry it. It has two holes punched at the top to wear as a neck knife or to lace on to his possibles bag with a hole at the bottom also to lace on. I attached a belt loop so it could be worn on a belt or attached horizontally to a strap.

The nicest part was that he and his wife came by the shop to pick it up and we got to talk for a while. He is also sending me some historical information on a certain fur trade knife he had obtained some time ago. I really look forward to learning more about historical knives.

No comments:

Post a Comment