Here at Arcadia Knives hand crafted knives have a soul. They are created with care, sweat and fire. If you are looking for a knife that you can pass down to your children then look no further.

Monday, November 11, 2013

The Move And CleanUp - LGPH Pt4



Friday afternoon, Nov 8th, a friend came over to help me get this hammer standing up after at least 15 years on the ground. 


We got the trailer backed into the shop with little to no room to spare.  I couldn’t see a thing once the trailer was partially in the shop, but Chase directed me in.  Hooked it to the 2 ton chain hoist and as it was raised it started to pull itself off the trailer. 


As soon as the base came off the back of the trailer, we attached the wooden platform/base.  After that it was easy to move.


Here it is still hooked up to the hoist, in the air, waiting to be moved around into position.  I decided to set the whole thing on a few 6x6’s so I could work on the base first.



It has been a long time since she has stood on her own legs.  This is a happy me after touch down.

Took apart the whole front section of the hammer and disassembled everything.  I laid it all out on a table with cardboard so I could make notes about how each piece was configured.  I stamped a few parts with an “X” to mark position.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday  11/9/13
Muzzle loader hunting started this morning.  Before getting to my stand, a deer busted me by snorting and running off.  Only saw the ghost of a deer a little later.

Lots of stuff to do before working on the hammer.  Finally, I got to work on taking the bearing tops off.  This lead to the shaft- John Shaft.  For some strange reason this thing did not want to come off.  I hooked it to the hoist because it is heavy and too high to manipulate safely.  Hoisting it up it would raise one end off then the whole machine with me on it would raise off the blocks.  I tried and tried and tried again until it released its grip and raised up.  At that point I lowered it to waist height and unhooked it. 



Now it is almost completely disassembled.  She looks kinda naked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------



Sunday 11/10/13
Today I put the LGPH onto my pallet jack to move over to the shop door.  My plan is to clean all the parts off with a wire wheel.  Big issue is lead paint used back in the day.  I started cleaning up all the moving parts- toggle arms, clutch fork, clutch collar, clutch pulley, crosshead, pitman, ram guide and ram.  Getting years of rust and crud off was very satisfying but took a couple hours of work.  Everything looked so different by the time I was done you wouldn’t have thought it was the same parts.


Next thing to clean was the frame.  For safety I wore a respirator mask and had a strong fan blowing to take all the lead dust out of the shop.  So I’m thinking they used lead based paint…but it was actually LEAD painted on!  Hate to be the guy who had to do that painting, talk about a deadly job.  It took a good while to get all the crud off the main frame.  After that I had to clean the lead paint off the flywheel.  The spider is also on the shaft with the flywheel and it needed to be cleaned more carefully. 

When I was finished I was covered with all kinds of soot and crud.  Time for a long hot shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment