Here at Arcadia Knives hand crafted knives have a soul. They are created with care, sweat and fire. If you are looking for a knife that you can pass down to your children then look no further.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

First Base or LGPH WIP Pt 2



My new(old) Little Giant Power Hammer(LGPH) is still on the trailer that it was brought home with.  That doesn’t mean I haven’t been working on the project. 

First thing to do is make a wooden base for it using 4x4 lumber.  All eight pieces are cut to length and laid out so I can mark four drill holes for each piece.  Then pilot holes were drilled in each board.  After those were done I drilled the inside holes for 3/8” all-thread and the outside holes for ½” all-thread.  The all-thread rods were tapped through the 4x4’s until they hung out the ends.   Washers and nuts were put on each end and the extra rod was cut off with a cutoff wheel.  Everything was tightened up with my air impact wrench.  Miss Kitty did not help one bit!

I had done a rough dimension drawing of the base the day I brought the beast home.  To lay out the holes to be drilled into the wooden base I physically took a piece of paper and cut it around the holes in the bottom of the hammer.  This was then easily transferred to the wooden base.  Pilot holes were drilled.  11/16” holes were then drilled and a ¼” deep square was chiseled on the underside to countersink the head of the 5/8” carriage bolt.  It was offset to allow for the motor and pulleys.

Considering this hammer weighs almost 800 pounds, I figured once I attached it to the wooden base it would never be taken off.  Being the resourceful(cheap) guy I am, I found a can of rubberized undercoating spray for vehicles and decided that would be a great way to protect the machine base.  I gave it a couple coats and now have to wait a few days until help comes to get it off the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment