Here at Arcadia Knives hand crafted knives have a soul. They are created with care, sweat and fire. If you are looking for a knife that you can pass down to your children then look no further.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Before The Move- LGPH Pt. 3



As I document the rebirth of this machine I just want ya’ll to know that I have been on a quest for a hammer for a many years.  The way I work is to find things in a raw condition if I can, to not only minimize my initial investment but to put as much of myself into it as possible.  So it goes with this hammer.  You saw in the first hammer post my initial view of this hammer.  It was partially engulfed by mother earth, whose clutches entomb many pieces of our history.  Just having the chance to make something this old work again is an undertaking many would rather not bother with.  I hold onto the ways of our forefathers as my guide through life.  Create things of Substance.  Build things that will Last.  Keep things Simple.  Be responsible for Yourself and Family.  Be as Self Sufficient as you can.  Make what you can instead of just buying.



On Nov. 6th I felt the need to look at the LGPH as it was on the trailer.  This was really the first chance I’ve had to check it out.  Since it’s still covered with plastic to protect it from a couple of rains we had and strapped down to the sled, I was limited to looking at the left side of the machine.  My main reason was to locate the serial number. 

In the book “The Little Giant Powerhammer” by Richard Kern, he lists dates of manufacture for all the Little Giant models.

Before locating the serial number I applied penetrating liquid to all the spots I could reach.  My choice of penetrating liquid is a home made concoction of Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone mixed 50/50.  It looks like it will also take quite a bit of elbow grease to make dismantling easier.

I found the flat spot on the back of the main riser.  It had to be cleaned out with a wire brush for me to read the number…


This is only the 16th 25 pound Little Giant Trip Hammer built.  It was produced in 1908 in Mankato, MN.  The 25’s just don’t get any older than this.  After looking at the website littlegianthammer.com and scouring through all the information and links I decided to give Roger a call to make sure parts were still available and to ask for this hammers history.


Roger told me that the older hammers were really built strong and he himself would prefer the old style.  His opinions made me feel better about the age of the hammer.  It is in great shape too without cracks and welds.  The term trip hammer was changed later as it is really a power hammer.

I know a lot of this may be boring to some but when you can work with something that has so much history it helps you see into the lives of those that may have used the machine before you. Next installment will be getting her to stand up for the first time in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment