Here at Arcadia Knives hand crafted knives have a soul. They are created with care, sweat and fire. If you are looking for a knife that you can pass down to your children then look no further.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Oh What A Year 2014 Has Been!!!


Whoa!!!!  It has been quite a while since I’ve updated the ol’ blog.  So much has happened since my last post



In early January my cat had to have a bit of surgery.  Since that time she made a full recovery.  For some time after, she was a little freaked out by everything.  Within the last few weeks she has been returning to my workshop to supervise. 

It seems that bad luck was the norm for the first quarter of the year.  Electrical issues in the shop prevented me from any production in January and February.  With some help from my buddy the electricity was running without any hiccups.  I ran new wiring for the hammer and moved the light switch to a more convenient location.



When the electrical problems first started I thought I’d be able to work around the issue.  Negative.  My 14” bandsaw was still working.  Oh yeah, it crapped out two or three days later.  The motor just died on it.  I spent quite a while looking for a 230v motor for it without any luck.  Then a buddy gave me a motor almost as old as the saw.  As my luck would have it, there was no wiring diagram on it OR at the manufacturer.  They told me their records didn’t go back that far.  Saw gets moved to the side for now.

On to the benchtop bandsaw that I have.  It only gets occasional use but comes in handy in a pinch.  My plan was to sell it to a friend.  Then I need it.  A couple of knife handles later it is starting to sputter and squeak so loud that I need ear plugs.  Saw number 2 taken offline!

I am starting to get mad now.  What else can happen?  Don’t EVER ask this stupid question because there is always something waiting to smack you down.

There are two drill presses in the shop.  One is a 12 or 16 speed floor standing model and the other is a small 5 speed bench model.  They are each used for different processes.  The large one is able to drill larger holes and can’t take any bits less than 1/10th of an inch.  Not a problem until the small drill doesn’t turn when the power is cut on.  This is what I use to drill holes in my leather sheaths for stitching them.  Dang!  Now what am I gonna do?



In need of a bandsaw, I purchase a benchtop saw from ebay…as is, looks like new in box.  Not a bad price.  Delivered right to the shop.  Open the box and the base is bent and a couple parts are missing.  Luckily as a homesteader and artisan I can whip this thing back into shape in less than half an hour.  No need whining about it just get it ready to use.  Next thing is to mount it to a base and set it in place of the big bandsaw.  Once it started running I was impressed at how well it cuts.  There is so much backlog of work in the shop that I waste no time in cutting out different wood items to get ready for upcoming shows.  Forward one week…get to shop after work, knife handles need to be shaped.  Flip the switch, NOTHING!  This can not be happening.  Oh it is, it is happening!

That makes four machines that have commited suicide within one month in my shop.

We had a show coming up soon so my gears switched to knives.  Working on four new knives had me scrambling for a new drill press to do sheath work.  A good friend picked one up for me in Nashville.  That was a great help to me.  Sheath work was going to get done without incident.  So I thought.  The leather sheaths were made, drilled, stained and stitched. 

There was one kydex sheath to make so the material was cut.  Next it goes onto a griddle to heat so that it can be formed.  All is going well.  From there it goes into a foam press that forms it around the knife.  I turn to get something…(wait for it)…and yank the griddle to the floor, breaking the plastic legs underneath. 

A man can only take so much.  So what do I do?  I STOMP the crap out of that griddle.  My poor wife witnessed the whole event with her jaw dropping to the ground.  Luckily the sheath turned out fine.  Keep focused.  Get ready for the show!

Our first show of the year was March 8th in Fayetteville, TN.  It was hosted by the Elk Valley Crafters Association.   We were surprised that we had more space than we thought.  So I had to run to Walmart to buy another table to set up.  It turned out to be a nice day and we enjoyed ourselves talking with everyone.

The next weekend my mother-in-law came down to visit.  As we were giving her and her friend a tour of the house, I hear some weird noise coming from our bedroom closet.  What the?  Shucks it’s just the water heater spewing hot water from the top access plate.  It’s a long way to the water meter so I set out running.  The next 6 hours are spent taking out the old water heater, driving 35 miles to get a new one and installing the new water heater. 



At this point there was no need to smash things.  Keep a smile on the face and take it all in stride.  We decide to call our wonderful friend to go through the house and shop with her positive words and burning sage. 

Well that seems to have turned things around for us.  I got my big bandsaw running and it is working better than ever.  We had a good Blooming Arts Festival in Linden, TN last weekend.  The weather was supposed to get rough but that never happened.  So many nice people came to our booth and had good things to say.  Can’t wait for the next show.  That’s it for now.  Been so busy in the shop trying to put a bunch of knives together. Hope the weather starts to warm up for everyone soon.  Flowers are blooming and trees are starting to bud here.  See Y’all Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment