Here at Arcadia Knives hand crafted knives have a soul. They are created with care, sweat and fire. If you are looking for a knife that you can pass down to your children then look no further.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Review ofJK Toby v2.0

This is a review I posted on BladeForums.com.  The knife was made by John Kiedaisch of JK Handmade Knives.  The knife belonged to Peter H. aka KYenglish who generously allowed a bunch of us knife slobs to put our grubby paws on it and tell y'all what we think.



JK Toby 2.0 Review

OAL - 7.375"
Cutting Edge - 3.000"
Blade Width - 0.785"
Blade Thickness - .092" at Spine - .034" at Tip
Handle - 4.250" Birdseye Maple -  0.839" Thickest Width - 0.552" Narrow Width
Sheath - Brown Leather Pouch with White Stitching

When I opened the box with this knife in it I was really impressed at how it looked and felt.  Personally I prefer a smaller knife and this fit me very well.  After initial view I gave it a closer inspection.  It appears somewhat rough and the scales haven't been sanded smooth.  I noticed a small separation at the front of the left scale and back of the right scale.  The separations are minimal.  After everything the knife has been through already I'm surprised there isn't anything else going on with it.  While the scales were a little rough, I noticed that it had an excellent grip in the hand with no slippage. 

The knife and sheath went onto my belt at that point and stayed there for two weeks.  I sharpened it a bit and stropped it so it would shave with no problem.  This took the place of my EDC's and was used as much as possible.  I didn't put it through everything I would have if it was a little larger, but knowing John made it, I wasn't afraid to use it hard.



So the first weekend our grandson was with us and a friend let him catch a few of his trout.  Gramps whipped out Toby and made short work of them with no effort whatsoever.  It was mostly used for food prep at home but would work well as a hunter.  It did a great job at home and work opening boxes, cutting plastic tubing, slicing sacrificial rope and whittling some apple wood.


One of my favorite tests is cutting through a nice venison steak.  It performed great and I believe that steak gave it a little bit of color.  While showing it to a friend I did stab it into a mailbox a few times with no ill effects to the point or edge.  He was totally impressed.

I have to say that Toby 2.0 is a really nice knife and anyone would be happy with its performance.  Thanks to KYenglish for the opportunity to participate in this Pass Around.

No comments:

Post a Comment