Here at Arcadia Knives hand crafted knives have a soul. They are created with care, sweat and fire. If you are looking for a knife that you can pass down to your children then look no further.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Life Happens...Usually At The Wrong Time

Two days after my last post, construction started on the new $3.5M sewer plant.  That has kept me totally busy with work related stuff.  I have never watched a large concrete job take off before.  Everything is new to me and I'm learning a lot about the process as it unfolds. 

At the start of the project one of the guys showed me a couple arrowheads he found on site.  The next day as we were talking he picked up two pieces of arrowheads right in front of me.  Dang I was so jealous.  Well it didn't take long for me to find my first one.  It was just the tip of one but...I was hooked.  My plan is to display the artifacts at the new plant.  This area holds many arrowheads as it lies just above the Green River.  I found a nice piece this morning but it does not compare to the dovetail in the picture below.



In mid May I broke out something I had planned to do for a while.  Making home made micarta gives me great satisfaction.  It is a handle material this is impervious to the natural elements.  I had purchased some regular burlap from Hobby Lobby when it was on sale and wanted to make some up.  The material that was ready to put to use was the burlap, some duffel bag canvas and bright t-shirt strips.  I made a twisted block of the t-shirt material and flat slabs of the others.  Can't wait to try it out on a new knife.







Our blackberries started ripening in late June with most of them being picked the last two weeks.  Leslie has picked over 25 gallons of them this year.  She told me this morning they are just about done.  The birds and Japanese beetles will get the stragglers.  I unfortunately do not pick them anymore because I actually get more chiggers than berries.



Here is another project I worked on with my buddy Phil.  We framed this sign with cedar limbs and built the metal hanger that supports the sign.  It is hung out on Main Street South and looks very rustic.  There was a lot of work involved but it came out looking great.  Phil actually put it up on the pole.





That kinda gets me caught up on what has been going on.  I have been enjoying the homebrew that I made recently.  Not much has been happening in the workshop as it is so hot out there.  It's hard to work steel in that heat.  Hope to get grinding real soon.

Should be a couple more postings soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment